Thursday, July 26, 2018

Chapter Eight - What the Heart Wants

The Mushroom Cloud Chronicles - Tania's Story
A JAG-Sims3 Story

Author: Haruo Chikamori
Rating: M
Classification: Angst, Romance.
Spoilers: N/A

Summary: Continuity of Government (COG) – a stark term for starting over after a holocaust the likes of which is hoped will never ever happen. This is a what-could-happen if the button was ever pressed.

DISCLAIMER: The characters Harm Rabb, Jr., Sarah "Mac" Mackenzie, Meg Austin, AJ Chegwidden, et al. belong (in concept if not name) to CBS/Bellisarius. Animal and all OC characters are the property of Heather and Hugo Chikamori. No profit is being made from this story, nor is any infringement intended.

------------------------------------------------
Chapter Eight - What the Heart Wants
------------------------------------------------

We knew that we had very little time with which to gather our possessions and head out of town. If we didn't want to spend another winter here in Nightmare City other than the current one that was coming at us full bore. The distance from the entrance of the bunker to the store was not the distance that you would want to trek if you ran out of supplies, especially in a howling blizzard. So we needed to stock up and so we did.

When the sun rose the next morning, we had to do our early morning chores. The pond had re-frozen overnight and so it looked as if we weren't able to fish like we had hoped. But that meant that we had time to read our skill books, since Matt and I had helped the bookstore owner, we were able to get some books at a relative discount.

...and that meant a lot of reading for the both of us. Because we had to keep fed, we decided that we both needed to learn the cooking skill. So as I finished one book, I passed it off to Matt so that he could read it after me. At least then the both of us would be able to cook in a pinch if necessary. And on top of that, the merchant brought recipe books too so that meant that both of us could cook up delicious meals. A lot of reading especially the since the bookstore carried all manner of books for us to learn from. And we had lost a lot of it when the bombs fell on Sunset Valley from what Mom and Dad tell me.

Fog and rain were the order of the day and at times it felt endless and on top of it all, it was cold, teeth-rattlingly cold that if one stayed out too long - the risk of frostbite became a reality. Who knew the desert could get so cold? But on top of that; how is it able to rain so much and not grow a single blade of grass? That was a puzzle and it wasn't certain as to what the solution was. It was hard to realize that our section of the earth may never be green again. A lot of places were irradiated during the war, but they seemed to be growing back, it was just a fluke that we ended up in the one place where the grass didn't grow.

But we were lucky in one regard; that anything that we planted actually took root and took any amount of nourishment that they could from the impoverished soil. It was that fertility that allowed us to grow enough apples in the space of a week and a half that we were within a stones throw of the thousand apples needed for our packs as food supplies.

And I don't know how it happened, because it happened so gradually; we saw each other as more than companions on a long journey out of this town. We saw each other as a balm to heal our wounds. Matt was starting to lean more on me and I was doing the same to him. And well...

We teased each other...endlessly throughout our childhood, and the old habits had reasserted themselves. It seemed that Matt's eyes landed on me as much as mine did on him. I may have been mistaken but there was a new softness in his teasing...more akin to flirting. And the sudden-ness of the appearance of this romantic side of him caught me off-guard. He admitted that he'd always had this crush on me and that he was attracted to me. Guys generally aren't this forward, but I was glad that he was, since I think I was falling for him too.

...and despite the fact that we were in a nightmarish place, our first kiss was magical.

...and I felt my mind just melt away as all reasoning fled.

The only thought in my mind was how much I wanted him...(my mom and dad would be shocked was the second, but it got obliterated by Matt's hands). Yeah, I think that's as far as I'm able to write in my journal today. Because I feel warm from my head to my toes and it seems like I can't stop grinning. And neither can Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment