Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Prologue - Life After Dad and Mom

The Mushroom Cloud Chronicles - Tania's Story
A JAG-Sims3 Story

Author: Haruo Chikamori
Rating: M
Classification: Angst, Romance.
Spoilers: N/A

Summary: Continuity of Government (COG) – a stark term for starting over after a holocaust the likes of which is hoped will never ever happen. This is a what-could-happen if the button was ever pressed.

DISCLAIMER: The characters Harm Rabb, Jr., Sarah "Mac" Mackenzie, Meg Austin, AJ Chegwidden, et al. belong (in concept if not name) to CBS/Bellisarius. Animal and all OC characters are the property of Heather and Hugo Chikamori. No profit is being made from this story, nor is any infringement intended.

------------------------------------------------
Prologue: Life After Dad and Mom
------------------------------------------------

Dad and Mom were gone, I had to come to terms with that. Dad was getting thinner, almost skeletal and he wasn't eating as much as he should. He was taking only a few bites and then shoving the plate towards me and telling me to finish the rest. And one day while we were outside; Dad...had a heart-attack. One minute he was there, the next minute; gone. Mom didn't last the rest of the day. She pined away rapidly, dying scant hours after Dad and I was left alone in what we derisively called this place; Nightmare City; it used to be the town of Warm Springs, NV, but now it was Nightmare City, because when after the bombs had fallen, according to Mom and Dad, it was a nightmare. Thugs and criminal gangs ran the racket in town.

My parents had survived the holocaust in a town called Sunset Valley in a bunker. They had served in the Navy and that was how they had found each other. My mom was a captain in the US Navy and my dad was a fleet admiral. My mom quit the Navy once she was pregnant with me; she had more important things to protect. But life was hard...and once they left the bunker it grew harder still. We had money...lots of it, but we had to scavenge just like everyone else. Money meant very little...unless you found the few people who coveted it. Most wanted to survive and that meant bartering in goods; not cash. And a lot of those kinds of people didn't care about money, but the ones who did were the ones that dealt weapons...and those were the people you had to watch out for. Dad had served honorably in the United States military when there was a USA. Now I don't know what we have other than the fact that we have to constantly watch our backs to make sure that no-body decides they're going to stab us.

After all, this wasn't a paradise at all.

I knew I had to make my way out of Nightmare City...and that was going to be the tough part. Yeah, I had money, but remember what I said, money means nothing to people here. What they want they'll take and if you're in the way of what they want, they'll remove you and I don't mean by politely asking you to step aside.

So I gathered my rations together...I guess that means I'm subsisting on a diet of apples at least for the next little while until I can locate something that I can use to survive on and I guess I have my trusty fishing pole and my Dad's old M4 carbine...I've got plenty of magazines of ammo so I should be OK.

So I'm gonna see what I have to do to survive in this world...and I hope that I find my way. I love you, Mom and Dad...I miss you...oh...so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment